Family & Consumer Sciences Education

Standards for teacher certification vary by state, and students must meet the requirements of the state in which they want to be certified. Additional requirements may include courses in the teaching specialization, tests, and/or other requirements.

Nationwide, there is strong demand for Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS) teacher, with the most severe need in rural areas. Consider these two FCS degree options.

Option A: Master's degree in FCS Education for those seeking initial teacher certification
Option A is a 38- to 41-credit-hour program of study for students with a bachelor's degree in a FCS Education content specialization or a related area who seek initial teacher certification or licensure in FCS Education. This includes 2-6 credit hours of practicum and 6-9 credit hours of student teaching (depending on certification requirements). Standards for teacher certification vary by state. Students are responsible for identifying and meeting requirements in the state where they want to be certified. This may include additional coursework, tests, or other requirements.

Option B: Master's degree in FCS Education for certified FCS teachers and professionals
Option B is a 36-credit-hour program of study for professionals in FCS Education including certified teachers who seek professional development and career advancement. This program provides continuing education to maintain and sustain high quality FCS programs in middle and secondary school and other settings.

Courses are offered over a three-year period, with the participating institutions sharing the teaching responsibilities for each course. The degree awarding institution is responsible for placement of students for practicum and internship experiences.

Degree titles vary by institution. Consult each institution for the title as it will appear on the diploma.


Students select one university to be their "home institution", this is the university to which you apply, enroll and pay tuition. Students must meet the admissions requirements of the home institution. Contact the Campus Coordinator at the institution you wish to call "home" for more information.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Lisa King
North Dakota State University Karen Murie
South Dakota State University Theresa Ireland
Texas Tech University Leslie Myatt
Central Washington University Karen Bergh

Student Resources

Student Success Center

The online hub of resources to support your academic and student experience.

Learning Management Systems

Students use the Learning Mangaement System at the teaching university. Contact the campus coordinator for more information.

Central Washington University Canvas
North Dakota State University Blackboard
South Dakota State University D2L
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Blackboard to Canvas
Texas Tech University Blackboard


Course Matrix

Review degree or certificate requirements and plan your courses for future semesters.

Course Information

Information regarding program courses, including descriptions, contacts, and textbooks.

Student Handbook


University of Nebraska-Lincoln
North Dakota State University
South Dakota State University
Texas Tech University
Central Washington University